So, when you visit Staymore Guesthouse (which is in the heart of the Cape Winelands) or the Banhoek Valley you are in good wine company. Even though our area is famous for its great wines, it also boasts some of the country’s best restaurants, delis, and picnic areas. I would say “no wonder” since we are 30 km’s away from South Africa’s Food Capital, Franschhoek.
Franschhoek has a host of top-rated restaurants, which cater to everyone. You can visit the Franschhoek Village Market every Saturday from 9-3 to get a taste of delicious local cuisine, fresh organic supplies or you can visit some really great restaurants for a classic fine dining experience. There are loads to choose from, but more on Franschhoek cuisine at a later stage.
Let us dive straight into the Top 5 Eateries in the Banhoek Valley
- Delaire Graff Estate – Uncovering a food philosophy. For a bespoke fine dining experience, this the place to be. Their focus is to produce beautifully crafted food that reflects the best seasonal, ethically locally sourced ingredients. You can choose between the Delaire Graff Restaurant or Indochine, a pan-Asian fine dining restaurant. The views are spectacular but don’t be too focused on the beautiful mountains, you might just miss your favourite Hollywood star!
- Tokara Restaurant and Delicatessen – The restaurant is situated 400 meters above sea level on top of the Helshoogte Pass outside Stellenbosch. It offers guests terroir focused contemporary cuisine, award-winning wines and dramatic views over Stellenbosch and False Bay! While the restaurant boasts a great fine dining experience, the Delicatessen have a relaxed atmosphere and a playpark for kiddies. Here you can also purchase the 2020 Triple Gold award-winning Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the Aurora International Taste Challenge
- Boschendal – First and foremost their focus is on providing flavourful and nourishing farm-to-table food; celebrating the bountiful produce of Boschendal and the Franschhoek valley with menus that shift with the seasons. Visit the Deli for a great breakfast in a relaxing farm-style atmosphere or visit the more formal The Werf Restaurant for a mouth-watering dinner. You can also relax on their beautiful lawns with a delicious picnic basket and a beautiful bottle of wine
- Zorgvliet Picnic area – Just bring a blanket and pick your spot under the shade of the Oak trees and let the greenery of the Zorgvliet picnic area envelope you or select a table with a view. Pick a basket from the picnic basket menu or sit down and choose a dish from their gourmet lunch menu and experience a culinary journey that will excite your taste buds. Kids will have ample space to run around and enjoy the jungle gym and sandpit.
- Le Pommier wine estate – Here you may sit back and order your favourite burger and chips or pizza. Nothing fancy, simply great tasting comfort food. There are loads on the menu to choose from, while kiddies can enjoy the play park. They also do deliveries in the area!
There are more restaurants and eateries to choose from, all with great tasting food, beautiful wine, and spectacular views. These five are just some of our favourites, which caters for every need. Next time when you are in the area. Please give them a try.